I really want to hit on the topic of patriarchy, and the ideals that are surrounded by a male being in an assumed position of power over a female. So a male is the dominant one, in all settings, including a work setting. Even though this is a bit disappointing, it is true. Why is it though, that men automatically get this privilege, but women are assumed to be lass than? Allan Johnson says that powerful women are open to being called bitches or lesbians as a way to discredit their power. Although this is direct, and let's face it, hurtful to women, it is pretty true in most situations. Just because you are a women in a position of power does not automatically connect you to the roll of a lesbian or a bitch OR mean that you are below a male.
For example, the book refers to a college professor that is a female, and compares her to a male professor. The female college professor get's asked if she is a professor, and when she says yes the follow up question is, "well, do you have your doctorate?" and when she answers yes to that question, the person responded with "at least you're educated." This is automatically putting that educator in a position that is lower than a male, and discrediting her knowledge solely on the fact that she is a female.
The way I feel, is that I never need to explain myself to anyone. If I say something about myself, you should take that for face value and not negate my experience for the sheer fact that I am female. Yes, I will admit a lot of times I feel like I do need to explain myself, and I'm willing to bet that most other women feel the same. Why is it that when a man states something he doesn't get questioned as to whether or not that is correct, but a women must give evidence as to why what she is saying, is true? It's our patriarchy system that we live in, in which male dominate and women are oppressed.
If you're a male reading this I would really like you to think about what I'm saying. First, I want you to think about if you agree with all of this or not. Then I want you to think about why you do or don't agree with me. If you don't agree with what I'm saying is it because I am female? Men can't understand what it is truly like to be in a female's shoes simply because they will never get that first hand experience, just as I will never know what it is like to be a man.
Something else that we, as a society, really need to critically think about is why we live in a system like this, and how can it be changed? A good analogy that is used for trying to change this system is a leaf in comparison to a tree. One leaf of a tree won't provide protection, but thousands will. So if we ever want these ideals to change then we must all come together to do something about it.
That brings out the problem of pointing the finger at just one person. No one person is responsible for the oppression of women, but it takes one person to be able to stand up and do something about it. A lot of times, no one wants to be that person because they don't want to be ostracize and/or bullied. I challenge you to stand up for something the next time you witness this happening (sexism).
I would also like to think of a time when you automatically gave a label to someone based on their actions. Like when people see someone being a bad driver, it is mostly assumed to be a female! These stereotypes are the exact things that are keeping groups oppressed.
One of my favorite (not favorite in a good way) things that Johnson says is that men are the cultural standard for humanity, and women are just women.We live in a world where men are in these positions of power that is purely a social construct, and only continue because of the ever-lasting participation in this system.
When digging in deeper to dominance and privilege, it can be greatly connected to what society stresses as "normal." So, because of these social constructs that we label as normal, a male is in that position of power- to be male is to be normal. Such as being white, able-bodied, and middle class. When someone is outside of these norms, or acts in such a way that we view as not normal, that person is likely to get written off, or even scrutinized for it.
Dominance is an unequal balance of power. So, when I think about this, I can relate it to our government. Very few women are in congressional positions, so where does the power lie? That's right, in the men that are mostly running political jobs. A great example Johnson gives is part of our American history, that is "America the Beautiful." One of the lines in the song is "and crown thy good with brotherhood," and then someone suggesting that it be changed to sisterhood. I have to admit, even I find that it sounds a little weird. That's just it, I have been conditioned to think like this. I am in a society where thinking of things like that is just unfathomable due to these social constructs.
We also have these terms such as masculine, and feminine. Male are masculine, and females are feminine. Although, when we step outside of these ideals, what happens? It is sort of like these huge expectations that every single person must meet within their gender to be considered as normal, or even accepted for that matter. A man is embarrassed when a women will tell him off, but if a man were to do that to a female then it seems to be more expected. Just as a man is presumed to be in a higher position, such as a boss, and the women are below the male.
Privilege is not something that is earned, rather it is a an advantaged bestowed on one specific person/group. More importantly, it is something that a person in that position doesn't have to think about, almost as if it doesn't exist. A male is likely to get a job over a female because he is considered to be smarter, stronger, and of course, more powerful.
Johnson says that men receive the majority of attention in school at every level of education (103). Just as men are expected to be in the "harder" classes like math and science, and females are just to be in art or maybe a creative writing class. Again, this is because the standards that are upheld for men versus women. Men do the hard work, and women do the easier stuff. I suppose that is why the role of a stay-at-home mom is considered normal, and the father is the bread winner of the family.
Luckily, for our generation these social constructs are changing, and mostly for the better. Women's suffrage was first being recognized in the early 1900's and the 19th Amendment came into play in the 1920's that granted women the right to vote. That was almost a century ago, and we are still having issues such as unequal pay for women. Yes, great strides have been made but I think it is safe to say that women's oppression is still very much alive.
If you can think back to any Disney movie that you watched, these are exactly the type of examples that are teaching society (children more specifically) what to think, how to act, how to dress, and what to play with. For instance, The Little Mermaid. She falls in love with a man after only seeing him and changes her whole life for him. She leaves the sea, gains legs, and forgets about her family. For what? For one man who she has seen a couple times. Women are taught to give everything up for a man, who will protect us and take care of us. There is one song particularly that Ursula sings and she says, "You'll have your looks, your pretty face. And don't underestimate the importance of body language." Later in the song she says, "They think a girl who gossips is a bore! Yet, on land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word....come on they're not impressed with conversation. True gentlemen avoid it when they can, but they dote and swoon and fawn on a lady who's withdrawn. It's she who holds her tongue who get's the man."
This is the image that girls at a young age are taught. Barely any clothing, skinny, big boobs, and long flowing hair. Anything that were to step outside of this would not be considered as a normal woman.
Stay Beautiful


No comments:
Post a Comment